Friday, April 4, 2008

Someday I'd like to do some good...


Last time I organized for a good cause, it was 1982 and I was in 11th grade. I was appointed the meager office of community service leader in student government. I organized only four events over 6 months (Arthritis foundation fund raiser, Cancer awareness smoke out, Goodwill warehouse volunteer run, and weekly nursing home cheer-board game/card play dates). And then I gave up. My close friends came and supported the events, but other than that most 16yr olds at that time in those days lacked my pathetic idealism or interest in anything other than teenage fun. Since then, the only things I have organized have been college team projects and anything I have lead in my career for the Benjamins. So as I read the below email from Barak, you can imagine my itchy guilt. So now I am too busy with my own life - single mom of a 4yr old, 8 months pregnant, and busy as hell working as a private consultant in a demanding career...taking care of me and mine. No community service in me. Justifying it all with cynicism that none of my efforts would make a difference. Oh I almost got sucked into 911 or Katrina volunteering, but I was assured by friends and family that it would be futile...or maybe that was me telling them that. Oh well. Anyhoo, read Barak's email...I hope someday I will do some good.

Debbie --

ApplyI want to tell you about one of the most exciting projects of this campaign. It's called the Obama Organizing Fellowship.

When I was a young man, I was inspired by the Civil Rights Movement and the idea of people working at a grassroots level to bring about change.

I got my chance on the South Side of Chicago, as a community organizer, and it was the transformative experience of my career.

It allowed me to put my values to work and to see that real change comes not from the top-down, but from the bottom-up, when ordinary people come together around a common purpose.

The experience changed the course of my life -- and I want to share that kind of opportunity with you.

That's why we're introducing a program that's going to train a new generation of leaders -- not only to help us win this election, but to help strengthen our democracy in communities across the country.

If you apply and are selected, you'll be trained in the basic organizing principles that this campaign and our movement for change are built on. You will be assigned to a community where you'll organize supporters. Assignments will begin in June, and you'll be required to work a minimum of six weeks over the summer.

This program is designed to give you real world organizing experience that will have a concrete impact on this election.

Apply to be an Obama Organizing Fellow and put progressive values to work in the real world:

http://my.barackobama.com/fellows

If you can't take the time away from work or your family that's required for the fellowship program, you can still get involved.

Being a community organizer wasn't easy, but it was the most valuable education I ever received. It taught me that together, ordinary people can do extraordinary things.

Organizing changed my life, and I hope it changes yours.

Thanks,

Barack Obama

No comments:

My Handpicked news and stuff for the Day

My Stumblings

My Geeky News

Cloud-Townsend - Must Reads

Blocks To Love
Confession: The Open Door 
Ingredients of Growth
Love, Receive and Obey 
Picking Safe People 
The Simple Scoop on Boundaries 
The Path of the Single Person 
THE NATURE OF LOVE 
Whether Mars Or Venus, Men and Women Need To Be On The Same Planet 
Overcoming The Fear Factor In Sharing Your Faith 
Dependency - Key to our Needs 
Flirting with Danger 
Ministry Counseling with Purpose 
Becoming Seperate - Boundaries 
Boundaries: Good in, Bad out 
Overcoming Fear In Uncertain Times


INTEGRITY OUTLINES by Dr. Henry Cloud


"Christian" Beliefs that Can Drive You Crazy -


Safe People:

Parenting:

Changes That Heal:


How People Grow:

Stuff to Thunk On

New from TED

News from Lifehacker

Let My People Think (RZIM)

My Calendar